Jay Malcom for Business2Community writes: Our top trends for 2016 are a collection of new and not-so-new (but reaching critical mass) developments in eLearning. Let’s take a look.
- Growth of Mobile – We’ve noted the growth of mobile as a significant trend for awhile now, but we expect it to continue in 2016. It’s reached a point where clients simply expect the solutions we create for them work seamlessly on mobile devices, and our dev team has responded by taking a “mobile-first” approach. Look for mLearning solutions to become more robust and powerful in the new year.
GURUFACE COMMENT: GuruFace offers a mobile ready responsive layout for both instructors and students. You are free to use the device of your choice in the format of your choice; phone or tablet (android or iOS), notebook or desktop PC (all browsers).
- Augmented Reality – Some brands have already started delivering powerful experiences using augmented reality, largely in marketing applications. To put this in a learning context, imagine having a performance support tool that walks someone through completing a task, step-by-step. You can do that on a tablet or smartphone with all kinds of multimedia – checklists, photos, videos and more. Now imagine a multidimensional replica of the exact task the person is working on appearing right in front of them, and imagine they can interact with it not with a tablet, but hands-free with something like Google Glass. We’re still very early in the adoption of augmented reality, but the possibilities are endless and intriguing.
GURUFACE COMMENT: Very slick and we look forward to the adoption of “augmented reality” in practice. This is an “emerging technology” and as of today not used in course delivery widely. If you’re interested in seeing demonstrations of “Augmented Reality” in use visit Envision by clicking here.
- Big Data – 2016 may be the year of data and analytics in the e-learning space. More organizations are creating long-term learning strategies and employee development is becoming a source of competitive advantage, not only in terms of product/service delivery but in employee recruitment. If we aren’t using data in a strategic way to close the loop between learning programs and business outcomes, learning strategy is greatly hindered. Look for greater reliance on third-party data analysis and reporting tools or in-house data analysts this year.
GURUFACE COMMENT: Guruface serves all instructors on the GuruFace platform Google Analytics reports daily. At GuruFace you can employ the full spectrum of analytic marketing practices and tactics to grow your business. You’ll be able to review activity, measure, apply adjustments in your marketing, and improve your performance.
- Cloud Solutions – Cloud-based learning management systems have been on the rise for several years, but we’re expecting 2016 to mark a major milestone in the rate of adoption. LMS users are becoming wise to the many advantages of using a cloud-based system over one that’s locally installed. We’ll be watching to see whether the benefits can outweigh the switching costs that some learning teams are struggling with.
GURUFACE COMMENT: GuruFace is cloud based but more than a standard LMS (Learning Management System). GuruFace is a complete business growth platform for instructors that includes the full spectrum of e-commerce capabilities, digital marketings, and large scale live online training features.
- Wearables – It’s hard to say exactly how wearable tech will impact learning this year. It’s still early in the product lifecycle, but smartwatch wearers are already receiving emails, text messages and app notifications on their wrist, which could already impact learning delivery and follow-up. Will learning content be designed for smartwatch consumption, embedding learning even deeper in the workflow than an iPad? Time will tell.
GURUFACE COMMENT: As of today neither GuruFace or any other online course providers is employing teaching with “Google Glasses” for example with course delivery. We are well aware this is being done at many Universities and Research Centers around the world. Look for this offering from GuruFace in 2017 at the earliest.